Thursday, July 7, 2011

So, just a quick post here because I suck at documentation with my work and I want to make note of what I'm doing for Craig Hickman's Gizmos workshop this summer and also want to get some creative and thoughtful juices flowing .

I have two elements in my interactive work that come up a lot. Well, there are more than two elements in reality, but these are perhaps my two favorites... for now. Anyway! Two elements in my interactive work: music and motion. I love making a physical connection between the creation and experience of sound, in particular music. Dance is a powerful expressive tool (that I only use in the privacy of my own home or at clubs under the influence of much obligatory drink) and music has shown to evoke strong physical and emotional reaction on small and large scales, but I feel like a simpler, more direct form of physical interaction with sound and creation of sound could be extremely impressive and perhaps even elevate and merge the two for the average person. I've been musing over such a thing for years and keep finding little bits and pieces here and there, like kindling in my mind, threatening to spark an idea I can actually flesh out and bring together as a polished, effect whole. For now, I'll settle with baby steps toward a developing idea that's still out of my reach: How can I merge movement and sound to create a simple, elegant and potent environment for the average person? How can I take body and rhythm and combine them in a new way that might get others to revaluate their understanding of sound art and artistic expression through movement? This sounds all fancy, but maybe it's just madness and nonsense.

0 contributions:

Post a Comment