Tuesday, October 5, 2010

A Simple Drawing


The idea was to take the simplified (mostly) shapes of the landscape and try somehow to translate importance and some kind of interesting quality or character into each one.

I immediately found this tremendously challenging from the angle of time and detail alone. The bridge took hours to complete because there were so many elements to it. I did decide to omit certain element I though might be too cluttering and/or distracting like nuts, bolts, marks on the wood and metal, and so forth.

I also found the process of intelligently simplifying the shapes to be a bit challenging as well. I wanted to avoid anything too infantile--which I thought would look like Legos, not a bad idea, but not what I wanted--but I also had to struggle to keep from reverting to my typical desire for highly detailed accuracy.

I also wanted to play with the line width to emphasize distance in space and visual importance/interest.

I feel that the trees are the most successful elements and the bridge, while interesting, is lacking something, but I'm not yet sure what. I'll try to revisit this until I figure it out.




UPDATED:

So, I got some feedback on this. I guess realism creeped up and smacked me on the side of the head. I had wanted to keep this simplified and although I did complicate shapes, I believe this is a more pleasant and readable balance of simple form and readability. Overall it feels less blocky, less immature and more refined and finished. I'm pleased with it.

0 contributions:

Post a Comment